What is a Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal is a noninvasive method for permanently reducing unwanted facial or body hair using gold standard diode.
How does laser hair removal work?
The laser produces a beam of highly concentrated light. This light beam passes through the skin and targets dark pigment called melanin. When the beam hits the melanin in the follicle, the intense heat destroys the hair follicle. The end result is permanent hair reduction.
What are the advantages of this procedure?
Unlike waxing, after your sessions are complete you should be virtually hair free. Hair that does grow back will be lighter and thinner in texture.
How many treatments are needed?
The number of treatments will vary since everyone’s hair grows differently depending on age, weight, metabolism, hormones, ethnicity, medications and other factors. Interestingly, not all hairs are growing at the same time. Hair is in one of three distinct phases of development which are anagen (active), catagen (transitional) and telogen (resting). The laser only works on follicles in the active growth phase. On average it takes a series of 4 to 6 treatments spaced 4 to 12 week apart to guarantee permanent hair reduction.
Is this treatment painful?
Most clients tolerate the procedure well. Some clients feel a slight burning or stinging sensation as the laser pulse is delivered. Topical anesthetic cream can be applied one hour prior to treatment on any area of the skin. In addition, our laser systems have a powerful skin cooling device incorporated into the hand piece. Cold compresses or soothing gels can also be applied after treatment.
What can I expect after treatment?
Immediately following the laser treatment, you may notice some minor redness, swelling or tenderness. It’s OK! These side effects are minor, and are totally normal. During the next few weeks it may appear that you have new hair growth, but it is actually the shedding of the dead hair. After the hair is shed you should be virtually hair free until the next cycle of hair growth.
Is it permanent?
Yes, 90% of hair follicle destroyed by the laser will never return. Any hair follicles not completely destroyed by laser will grow back lighter and finer in texture. Blonde, gray or red hair cannot be destroyed by laser.
BBL PRE-TREATMENT CARE
- The area to be treated must be clean-shaven.
- Avoid UV exposure 7 days prior to your treatment.
- Clients who are sunburned or tan cannot be treated must wait 2 weeks after sun exposure.
- Avoid sunless tanning products 7 days prior to your treatment.
- STOP all Retin A/Retinol products, alpha hydroxy and beta hydroxyl products (AHA/BHA), hydroquinone, Tazorac, and Differin for 72 hours before treatment.
- Antibiotics may increase photosensitivity. If started on an antibiotic, please call your pharmacist to check if it is photosensitive to the sun. You will need to be off the medication for 7 days before laser treatment.
- Clients must stop waxing, tweezing and chemical epilation 3 weeks prior to treatment.
- If you are prone to cold sores, it is highly recommended to take an anti-viral medication (such as Valtrex) prior to your treatment. Please call our office for a prescription.
- Clients who have used Accutane or similar products within the last 6 months CANNOT have BBL treatments.